SUPER CUBANO SANDWICH [recipe]
For your Super Bowl bash, the Cuban Sandwich is a perfect game day switch-up from the standard burgers and buffalo wings. For genuine flavor, roast a pork loin the day before to have plenty of leftovers for sandwiches. (In southern Florida, they swear by salami for a quicker option.)
Not your everyday mustard, Tigertail Mustard is the champion of this Super Cuban Sandwich!
• 1 loaf Cuban bread or thick crusty bread, sliced lengthwise
• 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
• 3 tablespoons Tigertail mustard, or to taste (we like A LOT!)
• 1 1/2 pounds smoked ham, sliced
• 1 1/2 pounds roasted pork, sliced (For a quicker version, try salami!)
• I pound Swiss cheese, sliced
• 1 cup dill pickle chips or slices, or to taste
Assemble the sandwich
1. Spread 2 tablespoons of the butter on the inside of the top bun. Slather Tigertail Mustard on the inside of the bottom slice.
2. Place 1 to 2 layers of ham, pork, cheese, and, finally, pickles on the buttered bread.
3. Smear the remaining butter all over the outside of the sandwich and wrap it completely in aluminum foil.
Grill (Alternative: If you have a panini grill this works great. Follow the instructions for your appliance.)
1. Heat your grill to high (550°F) and close the lid. Wait at least 15 minutes before lowering the heat to medium-high (450°F) and continuing.
2. Before grilling the sandwich, press down on it with your hands to flatten it. Place the rapped,
flattened sandwich on the grill and top with a brick, grill press, or any other heavy, heat resistant object. Close the lid and grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side.
3. Remove the wrapped sandwich from the grill and take off the foil. Return the sandwich to the grill and grill for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until both pieces of bread are crispy and
Slice and serve
1. Remove the sandwich from the grill and cut at an angle into small sandwich wedges (triangles).
2. Place on a large platter and serve while still hot.